Saturday, February 26, 2011

Higgins - History of Fluxus

I found the Dick Higgins’ A Child’s History of Fluxus to be a nice, quick summary of the history of Fluxus. I also thought it was interesting that A Child’s History of Fluxus was just that, a short document that easily reads as if it designed to be a children’s’ story which keeps with the theme of Fluxus artists preferring simplicity over complexity. The only downside to this was that it wasn’t as informative and detailed in its descriptions of historical events as I would have liked. Of course that would get away from the core simplicity and fun that Fluxus seems to intend.

Despite the briefness of this overview of Fluxus history, I thought it was a nice overview and it piqued my interest, driving to find out more information about what Fluxus is. Another thing that I found interesting was how loose the Fluxus movement seemed, I’m not even sure if movement is the proper word to describe it. This looseness is highlighted by the descriptions of Maciunas’s attempts in 1963 and 1965 to exert more control and organization over the Fluxus group, which turned out to be contrary to the fun and intermedia nature of Fluxism.

No comments:

Post a Comment