Sunday, April 17, 2011

Ancient Images & New Technologies: The Semiotics of the Web

In the beginning of the article Ancient Images and New Technologies:

The Semiotics of the Web by Philippe Codognet he had mentioned, “images

have been supposed to speak more directly than words to the soul.” Immediately

I thought of the saying, “a picture is worth a thousand words.” I remembered

the painting The Gun and the Heart or La Pistols y el Corazon (1989) by

George Yepes. It was simple with only two characters within it, but if looked

closely, there could be many stories behind it.


I was amazed to see that something, such as binary notation, was used in

the future as well as used in the past. I think it strange sometimes how that

happens in history. Leibniz using binary for a medallion made me remember

Leonardo De Vinci’s inventions and how some of them involved flight which

looked similar to the present with planes and helicopters.

No comments:

Post a Comment