Wednesday, April 20, 2011

What I'm Thinking About Writing My Paper On... YO!

I was thinking about writing my paper on how animation today has directly been affected by others outside of the industry. During class I was able to see directly just how this exact statement is true. I was introduced to an anatomy expert, which came to no suprise because that is something that an animator has to create everyday. However, the extent to which the speaker went through was quite a suprise to me. I was amazed to hear that animators in big companies had such need of someone outside of the industy to help them with the rigging of their own characters. Personally, I thought it was beautiful to hear about two completely different professions coming together in such an organic way. Being in the gaming industy and rigging animated models is something that I am starting to become completely familiar with. I want to find out more about the kinds of people that are called upon to make an amazing piece of art even greater. Why is it so important that the characters move a specific way, look a certain way, or act a certain way for it to be believeable? Do that many people pay such in-depth attention to these details?

I have always had a huge obsession with creating from the ground up. Concepts that come from my brain are like weeds that spawn from the green foliage that I go through in my everyday life. What astounds me the most are the creatures or beings that don't really exist. How do I create a rig of something that doesn't really exist and have that same familiar feeling? At least enough for it to seem realistic. That is something I always want to shoot for.

1 comment:

  1. A much shorter version of Dr Sunita's talk is here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKVkiiH8Xwg

    with some other insights. You need to pick some specific examples to narrow your research. Knowledge of fantasy literature or science fiction literature is another aspect you might consider. Just like an actress (Natalie Portman) would research a role (ballerina), an animator or game designer should know a ittle soemthing about the real world aspect of what they are portraying and designing (Frog ecology for Frogger, for example), or military history for war simulation games. You might want to just stick with Anatomy, though. You will have a lot of success sticking with this specific topic.

    ReplyDelete