Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Potential Topic: Hand-written mail versus electronic mail

   A potential topic I've been thinking about is "hand-written mail versus electronic mail".  Basically, I want to compare the effect they have on society and its people.  Technology, as a whole, has always been linked to controversies for making society lazier.  On the other hand, electronic mail has always been branded as a "helper" for it's instantaneous inputs and outputs and is criticize less.
  
   In my paper, I want to research and explore whether there are negatives to electronic mailing as well.  For example, I question whether it makes human relationships less than they were during the time of hand-written mail.  Also, how is electronic mail affecting the postal system?  Of course, society has been sending less physical mail ever since the introduction of electronic mail, but is it enough to threaten the existence of the post office?  Similarly, I also question physical mail as it also has disadvantages.  For example, hand-written has a larger possibility of becoming lost and since there's normally only one copy of written material, recovering material is quite difficult.  (Electronic mail usually gets saved in the sender's outbox.)  It also takes a longer amount of time for physical mail to get from the sender to the recipient.

   Personally, I still send hand-written mail to friends but I also send e-mails and text messages.  I see pros and cons to both sides so I hope to look into the history of mail and figure out the effects technology has made on mail.  Then, perhaps I'll be able to take a side in the controversy.     

2 comments:

  1. also take a look at At A Distance by Chandler and Neumark.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you might want to consider: physical affect of both activities (writing with a pen, walking to a post office vs. typing on a keyboard, maintaining a computer)

    also:

    how is motion different in each?

    ReplyDelete