Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Abstract Montage




I started this project by taking short videos of various objects. I used close-up shots to keep with the idea of abstraction. I zoomed in on the objects and then used back-and-forth and up-and-down motions.
I used Premiere to edit the videos. I ended up cutting some of the clips up into a lot of different scenes and then putting them together out of order. I think this gave some of those clips a violent feeling. I then put some of the slower-moving clips in between those violent cut-up clips to separate them a little bit. I think this helped to take away any rhythm it would have had. I just think it works better if the viewer can't establish any kind of rhythm with the video.
I left out audio because I though it would take away from the abstract feel of it. I know that if I would have tried audio I would have ended up placing some sort of meaning into the piece and I wanted to stay away from that.
I videotaped objects that were void of bright colors. I did use a blue object to break up the scenes a little bit. Looking back I think I should have used at least one really brightly colored object in a short scene to add contrast to the piece.
I'm not a huge fan of abstract art. A lot of times I just don't understand. Sometimes it seems tough to even put my own meanings into people's abstract art. This project was interesting though. Editing the video to take out any meaning or objects that could have been identified was fun and different from the art I usually make. I'm still not a big fan of abstract art after doing this project, but I am starting to enjoy making montages.

1 comment:

  1. Abstraction helps break down the elements of light, color, motion, etc, as you have outlined.

    ReplyDelete