Wednesday, March 9, 2011

In Defense of the Poor Image

Hito Steyerl's article was pretty interesting. I think poor images are great. The reason they are so common now is that people want things fast. That's why there are a lot of poor images on the Internet. Fast means small file sizes. The smaller the file size the lower the quality the image or video has. A lot of times with sites like YouTube people aren't really concerned about the quality of the video, but rather the content of the video. Yes, it's nice to look at crisp, clear high-quality video and it's easier on the eyes, but if I need to sacrifice quality to see something I'm interested in then that's fine with me.
I like movies that are high quality and love seeing movies in the theater. I love the high contrast and bright colors. I also like movies that disguise themselves as poor images. When the movie-makers intentionally make the video look grainy or desaturate the colors.
Images are another story for me. If I want to create some sort of design work like a poster or website I need a very high-quality image or I'm not happy. If I can't use my own photograph or find a high quality royalty-free image my design suffers.
So while poor images have a place in society, they definitely cause headaches in other places.

No comments:

Post a Comment