Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Montage

In terms of abstraction, I primarily featured motion or light distortion to create the abstract aesthetic. What I was focusing on with this montage was progressive motion, beginning with a static camera and accelerating to the point that the video ends with incoherent motion as I turn and shake the camera erratically. I began with a clip of my ceiling fan, which has a lamp on it. By adjusting the exposure of my camera, I flared the lamp light and darkened my walls and ceiling, and the effect was that only the light and the spinning fan was visible. The goal was to induce the viewer to focus their eyes on the bright light, and let their peripheral vision register the subtle dashes of light created by the fan blades. This phenomenon is something I've often experienced when returning to the train station at night time. The moving cars on the street invade my vision with their headlights, and so even if I'm not directly looking at them, I am constantly aware of their presence, much like the fan blades in the clip.
The camera's motion then turns from static to slowly ascending, then to swiftly ascending before abruptly shifting axis to left and right motion. This footage was me standing in front of my blinds as I moved the camera from side to side. Interestingly, the bending and slanting of the blinds is entirely an illusion, as I ensured the camera to be as still as possible. the repetitive movement in this clip was useful for transitioning into another scene where I stand in my living room and hold the camera in front of me, spinning around as fast as I can. This causes severe motion blur which I then transferred into a new scene, consisting of the camera tumbling around through the air. So I began with no motion from the camera at all, then gradually shifted to unidirectional motion, then bidirectional, and ended with chaotic motion.

No comments:

Post a Comment