Wednesday, March 2, 2011

A Child's History of Fluxus

I enjoyed Dick Higgins' article. It was short and informal. It's not fancy, and that mirrors the idea of fluxus. I like the fact that fluxus artists didn't have exhibitions, but "concerts." It makes it seem like the fluxus art was more entertaining and inviting. It wasn't like "hey come visit this gallery," but more like "come enjoy this concert."
It's an interesting look at how fluxus came to be. What it is and what it isn't. Higgins writes about "fancy people copying fluxus things" but they tried to make them fancy, and that changed them so they stopped being fluxus.
I thought it was funny that George Maciunas was trying to be an unofficial leader of fluxus and telling people they "couldn't be Fluxus people anymore." That just seems odd to me. Another thing that I thought was interesting was the idea that when fluxus people started to get famous they couldn't do flux things anymore. I can see the thinking behind that, but if they get famous for fluxus things and they continue to do fluxus things they should still be considered fluxus people.
It's cool that fluxus is still going on. I'm sure there are people who do fluxus things that don't even consider themselves fluxus people or know what fluxus is.

No comments:

Post a Comment